Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back to School...

It's that time of year again. I'm re-reading books like The Daily 5 , The Cafe Book , and Reading with Meaning. I am thinking about a new classroom theme (switching from Hollywood, I decided it was too shallow; to Owls, I think it will be a very WISE decision). I've spent hours scouring various teacher blogs, Google image, teacher supply websites, and Pinterest; trying to find the perfect way to organize my student reading/writing binders, cutsey labels for the genres in my classroom library, word work activities, guided reading tips galore, ways to maximize space, classroom decorations that I can purchase or print (I am so not the DIY type). I've finally made a few decisions about what my classroom will look like and how my day will unfold.... Unfortunately, I still have a ways to go before August 22 (the first day for students).

Although I'm kicking myself now for not taking enough pictures of my Hollywood theme (My kiddos were the Stars of the 4th grade), it will be nice starting with a blank slate. This year I will be teaching 5th grade and my students will be the "Insert Something Clever Here About Owls" of the 5th grade (the title is a work in process). I would like to get started in my classroom ASAP (like last week), but it is currently in a "will I get painted this summer" limbo. If I don't hear from my principal by Friday, I will either guerrilla paint it over the weekend or (the more likely choice)  begin on bulletin boards and keep them covered up with sheets in anticipation of a painting crew. Here I have a few photos of my "blank slate". Oddly enough I took pics of the sides and back of my classroom, but did not take any of the front of the room. Looks like I'll have to drop in later this week. Maybe I'll see a painting crew.....

This one's blurry, but you get the idea.
                                                        

                                           
You can see the remnants of my "Reely Good Work" Board. Also, behind some of that butcher block paper is my CAFE board, hence my guided reading table. I call it my guided reading table, students called it everything from; kidney table, bean table, kidney bean table,  horseshoe table, "please don't make me whisper read to measure fluency again" table, Daily 5 Table, Daily 3 Table (My Dailies fluctuated throughout the school year), small group table, and many more.





                                    
Classroom library and my desk. Which frankly, I am considering getting rid of this year (my desk). I am never at it! I do everything from my guided reading/kidney bean table (please see above) and everything in my room is wireless, so it's really just taking up space...Also (in terms of the classroom library), I hate the tall shelves, I hate them! I need to hit up garage sales for more kid friendly sized shelves or hit up dear old dad to build them for me.

Until next time! Maybe I will have made more decisions by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment