Friday, July 20, 2012

Preliminary Classroom Set Up

Welp, I got response today from the principal, and no paint this year. And I quote, (or rather copy and paste) "Maybe Christmas break but don't hold your breath." I did ask him , if I could come in with putty and sandpaper to fix the holes in the wall, still waiting on that response. The giant holes in the wall are a direct result of taking down maps/overhead screen and installing the smart board, which I am very grateful for as I don't know what I would do without it. However, that process was about 365 days ago. But of course I will make due.

One of my awesome co workers sent me this link today for Owl Appliques. I think this will be a great solution to help brighten up the walls in my drab classroom. I was also thinking in order to cover up the wall directly behind the smart board, turning that part of the wall into a 3-D tree, with the smart board "inside" or part of the tree. In order to do that, I'm really going to have to think back to my high school theater/stage craft days...or enlist the help of some of my friends who are still involved in that! More to come on that :)

After some extensive thought the other night when I could not sleep, I think I have come up with a basic floor plan for my classroom. Not a lot has changed, except my classroom library/Daily 5/guided reading corner has gotten bigger. No, I did not knock down a wall, but I will using shorter bookshelves in order to maximize the space for mini lessons. Behind the bookshelves, there is an ancient chalk board, that I am actually excited to use this year!  Last school year, I was always afraid my towering bookshelves would crush children. Not only were they too high, they were also not kid friendly. I'm pumped to get rid of them, as they were a hand-me-down from the teacher in the room before me. Who was I, the first year teacher to say no to furniture in my classroom? Well, I'm a second year teacher now and I'm ready to make this room totally my own! 

Here it is! Real pictures to come as I get to work next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment